[Scribus] pdf standards

John Culleton john
Sat Mar 1 01:54:09 CET 2008

On Thursday 28 February 2008 03:20:09 pm Timothy Boyden wrote:
> PDF/X-1a:2001 is actually equivalent to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) version
> files (according to the InDesign export feature anyways).
>
> If you use the Scribus PDF export tool I believe it defaults to X-1a or
> X-3 (which is the same PDF version, but with a more definitive color
> profile description) which should be acceptable to your printer.
>
> If you want a tool to verify it, you'll need a preflight tool like what
> is included in Acrobat or another 3rd party product like FlightCheck
> from Markzware. There's freeware preflight software available, but I
> have not had a chance to compare those with commercial tools for
> accuracy. One of the advantages of a commercial preflight tool is that
> it can make adjustments that would make a PDF compliant with the X-1a or
> X-3 specification.
>
> -Tim

Thanks for the reply. My source on such things tells me that if the
string "PDF/X" does not appear in the pdf file then it won't be accepted for
running on the OCE printer by LSI.  No pdf files that I have looked at,
Scribus, TeX, whatever, have that exact string.  I can of course patch that
in with an editor but I doubt that it would pass the preflight review.

Does the presence/absence of graphics have an impact on how Scribus annotates
the file?

For some time now the Scribus site has bragged about X/3 qualification.
Shouldn't some indication of that occur in the file also?

--
John Culleton