[scribus] No real CMYK black possible??

avox avox at arcor.de
Sun Jun 22 16:12:41 CEST 2008

Tino Schwarze-2 wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently designing a folder with black background. I'm using
> the ISOCoated v2 (ECI) profile for offset printing. But my black (as in
> CMYK=0/0/0/100) background doesn't look black at all on screen. Scribus
> as well as Acroread display a very dark grey and I can even distinguish
> it easily from the pictures I converted from sRGB->ISOCoated using
> tifficc. (Pictures converted by scribus are also okay and visibly darker
> than my supposedly-black background.)
>
> I tried unchecking Blackpoint compensation - no visual difference. I've
> set the rendering intent to "relative colorimetric" and exported to
> PDF/X with ISO Coated v2 destination profile. I also tried PDF1.4
> without profiles (with Printer as destination) - same result.
>
> How will I get a real black color?
>
> Scribus version is 1.3.3.11, running on SuSE 10.3, liblcms is 1.16.
>
> I've got a workaround: made a 10x10 black TIFF, converted to ISOCoated,
> used it as background but the print shop will probably complain about
> too low resolution.
>
> Any hints?

CMYK 0/0/0/100 isnt the blackest black in CMYK space, so colormanagement
maps it to a dark gray in RGB space (as used by your monitor).

There's also Rich Black (eg. 40/40/40/100) and Total Black
(100,100,100,100),
but the latter is rejected by many printers because it uses too much ink.

In Scribus it would work best to create an RGB black (0,0,0) and rely on
colormanagement to convert it to the darkest CMYK black available in the
target
color space.

/Andreas