[scribus] oh, my; louis, sacre bleu!

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Tue Jul 29 10:08:58 CEST 2008

From: "mike"

>i am more confused than EVER after reading:
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html
>
> mike

Proof that all simple systems are doomed to complexity.   But you
do have to make things like envelopes, and these require
different paper sizes to make a bit of room and edges to gum
things up.   And so on.

And it looks as though the piece, despite bearing the UK suffix,
is written by an American;  'meter', Sir, meter?   The word is
Metre.  And the first diagram could have been a lot clearer [i.e.
the two A4 sheets could each have had 2 and root 2, rather than
looking like a break in the rule!].

It mentions the A B and C ranges, though  I thought the French
description added a D range.   Anyhow, I struggle to see a
mathematical relationship between the A, B and C size, as though
they were established by trial and error...

Joseph Harris [Oh, and the Japanese have already broken rank ;-)]