[scribus] paper sizes

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Mon Jul 28 14:38:47 CEST 2008

From: "Louis Desjardins"
ray a écrit :
> On Monday 28 July 2008 10:55:47 mike wrote:
>> i wouldn't know A4 from a hole in the ground or any of the
>> other sizes
>> either
>
> These are the world standards.  It's just the US thats weird.

Canada is weird as well. The country adopted the metric system
decades
ago but still, in the paper industry the "world standards" were
never
adopted. Some other countries might be in that case too, maybe?

Louis

> Here's all that you need to know about what the rest of the
> world does:
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

Ah, good. another voice of reason.   In the UK we still fondly
remember the Imperial system, including Double Elephant [40x26
3/4 inches], Pinched Post [18 1/2x14 3/4 inches], Kent Cap,
Double Quad Crown, Demy 4to and Music.   Those were the days.

The shapes were actually better for design in my opinion, but
practically all European Mills now produce metric dimensions, and
to cut to Imperial is costly and wasteful.

By the way Ray, 10 by 8 inches would come from folded Copy or
Draft, and is known as quarto generally.   The A4 size is
approximately 8 1/2 by 11 3/4/ inches.

Joseph Harris [I forgot the Grand Eagle...]