[scribus] import from textfile

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jul 23 18:26:24 CEST 2008

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Chantal Rosmuller wrote:
>> Hi list, I need some advice.
>>
>> I want to import text that is currently in a text file.  But I do not
>> want to import all if it in one text frame. Every paragraph should
>> have it's own text frame. How can I do that? Should I for example
>> write a script to put the text file in mysql format first? Or maybe
>> html? I know a thing or two about scripting and databases but not a
>> lot about scribus. I am not sure how to get started, If someone can
>> point me in the right direction that would be great.
> You're wanted to do something very customized. The question is,
> whether writing a script, editing your text file, for some automated
> process is worthwhile.
> Is there a certain layout?
> Is there a reason you can't just divide your text file into a number
> of text files, one for each frame?
On the wiki there is a simple parsing script:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Importing_addresses_from_a_text_file

As you can see, it reads a line at a time, then depending on the line's
content, makes a simple decision.

If your content can be parsed with some easily identifiable
character(s), then you could parse one file to a number of decision
points, and create new text frames, new pages with text frames, or even
skip along frames in a defined template.

Greg