[scribus] Printing from within Scribus

Nik scribus at babel.homelinux.net
Mon Jul 21 07:49:33 CEST 2008

Hi All,

For a number of years now, I have encountered significant problems with
printing directly from Scribus. The workaround has always been to create
a PDF and print from that.

However I thought I should report these in case there is something
simple that I am doing wrong, or in case it indicates the existence of a
"coding opportunity" for someone :o)

I support scribus installed on a number of machines running a variety of
versions of Fedora Core, and a variety of versions of Scribus.

These problems were certainly there in 1.2.4, and are still there in
1.3.3.8, 1.3.3.11 and at least one other flavour of 1.3.3.

1. I simply cannot print a landscape document in landscape orientation.
The only way I have been able to print landscape documents has been to
create a PDF and print from that.
I am *fairly* sure that landscape printing worked in versions earlier
than 1.2.4.
Currently whenever I try, I get a landscape-oriented document printed on
portrait-oriented paper.

2. Larger documents (10+ pages with a total of 20 images) tickles a
problem in the postscript processor on linux, causing it to consume all
RAM, and then make the machine page-fault itself into oblivion.

Since this problem is such a pain when it happens, I haven't tried
printing a large document from Scribus for quite some time, but the last
time I tried on both 1.2.4 and 1.3.3.something, it failed. As I
indicated, this seems not to be a fault with Scribus per se, but
something in the printing filters on linux. However, the problem seems
to be caused by the way scribus is performing the printing, since a PDF
made from that scribus document *can* be printed.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems, and does anyone have any
advice on how to fix this?

If anyone would like more information or sample files, I am happy to
provide them.

Cheers!
Nik