[scribus] Adobe Reader 8 and Scribus.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jul 9 19:05:10 CEST 2008

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:12:36 +0200
"Xavier Colmant" <xavier.colmant at gmail.com> dijo:

> > You cannot normally open a PDF for editing in Scribus. That said its
> > possible to import a PDF, but your mileage may vary. Anyway its not a
> > very good way to try it.
> Just to precise : You can import PDF in an image frame. I did it once
> when I had to include a PDF from a 3rd party. You cannot edit it. If
> you set the image frame to be equal to the size of the page, the
> results are OK (but not excellent). Another thing, you can import only
> one page; If your PDF is several pages long, you have to split it with
> a tool.

I just tried Inkscape .46 as recommended by Julian Robbins. Indeed, it
has a very nice PDF import feature, and the text is editable, too. Not
perfectly editable - you can select a maximum of one line at a time,
but at least you can make minor changes if you wish. It can import only
one page at a time, although you have your choice of pages, so you
could import all the pages of a multipage PDF if you have the patience
to do so.

I selected a line of text, then copied and pasted into Scribus, but the
paste option in Scribus was grayed out. I guess the only way to get the
PDF from Inkscape into Scribus is to save as an EPS or something from
Inkscape.

Interestingly, Inkscape is open source, so whatever code they are using
to perform the PDF import must be available to Scribus developers,
right?