[scribus] OT Web tools

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 22:59:21 CEST 2008

Hi John,

On 7/8/08, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 July 2008 08:16:43 am Craig Bradney wrote:
>> > Quanta Plus is another and Linux-only html development tool. It
>> > is closely integrated with the KDE desktop, a common GUI on Linux
>> > machines.   It aims to beat all the competition, including
>> > Dreamweaver.
>>
>> I wouldn't use anything but Quanta Plus .........

> Quanta seems oriented to traditional html rather than xhtml. I don't
> have a dog in that race, but I need to make a decision on where I
> should invest my learning and developing time.

You can use Quanta to write XHTML markup as well. You just have to use
different Document Types to distinguish between different types of
markup - HTML or XHTML, etc. Don't think about using a web designing
tool such as Dreamweaver. Handcoding XHTML & CSS is a LOT easier then
that. You just need to pick up a good book.

I would recommend:

"The Essential Guide to CSS and HTML Web Design" by Craig Grannell
                      friendsOf (an Apress company)

"Mastering™ Integrated HTML and CSS" by Virginia DeBolt
                       Wiley Publishing Inc.

"THE ULTIMATE CSS REFERENCE" by Tommy Olsson & Paul O'Brien
                       SitePoint

"HTML Dog" by Patrick Griffiths
                       New Riders

I would suggest that you start with "HTML Dog" - you'll know which dog
to go for! :) XTHML is the way to go.

--
HTH,

Asif