[scribus] Scribus on OS X

Brandy Evans Buckingham porcupine88 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 00:54:39 CEST 2008

Hi,

I asked about some of this via the contact page a few days ago, but I haven't heard back yet so I thought I'd try asking here.

It says that 1.3.3.11 and 12 are available, but I can't find any PPC versions, either through the links on the Scribus site or anywhere on Sourceforge. Could somebody please let me know exactly where to find the OS X version of either of these? I'm currently using 1.3.3.10 and there are some bugs that I'd *really* like to get rid of that are supposedly covered in these. I downloaded the source code, but I am definitely not handy enough with the command line to figure that out right now. (When I had Linux a few years ago I was always having to ask people to remind me how to install things, and that was just for regular installs, not compiling.)

I tried downloading AquaScribus 1.3.4, but it won't run. I unzip it, double-click the icon, and it briefly appears in my dock then disappears again. I redownloaded it, put it in a different directory, nothing makes it run. And besides, I am working on a newsletter that I need to be able to share with a Windows user, and I read in the archives that you can't share docs between 1.3.4 and 1.3.3.x - is that correct? There is no way to save in an older format?

And in the meantime, any tips on getting 1.3.3.10 to run faster? I have a 1.25GHz eMac with 512MB RAM - Photoshop runs fine, but Scribus is incredibly, incredibly slow. I'll click on a text frame and it will be ten full seconds before it lets me move it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Brandy