[scribus] Lost Template Access in 1.3.3.12

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jul 3 18:26:00 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 10:10:55 pm Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, John Culleton wrote:
> > I restored it by using the cmake process instead of the
> > ./configure process.  AFAICT only cmake really works 1ith
> > 1.3.3.12.
>
>    Thanks, John. I'll rebuild it tomorrow. I've been using the
> SlackBuild script, but apparently it fails on this version. I hope
> the developers fix this bug in the next release.
>
> Ric

It's not a bug but a feature. The developers don't like the
older ./configure method.  It makes their job harder. So here is the
drill:

After you download and unpack the source files go to the directory
holding them and use the following information (cribbed in part from
Greg Pittman) to create Scribus:

First you have to select a work directory name.  You can use the same
directory but the powers that be recommend against it.
Let's say you specify /opt/scribus13312/
Then execute the following:

cmake  .  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/opt/scribus13312/
make
install
(Don't forget the period after cmake!

When you install, in addition to other essential ingredients, Scribus
will make a /opt/scribus13312/bin/scribus as the final destination of
the executable -- it creates a bin/ directory for the binary
executable.

This of course will not automatically be in your search path for
executables, so you can either add this to your seach path or make an
application icon which knows to go to this place for the binary.

Alternatively I suggest just doing:

ln -s /opt/scribus13312/bin/scribus /usr/local/bin

All other workarounds that have been suggested didn't work for
me.  ./configure is dead for Scribus---long live cmake!

--
John Culleton