[Scribus] MySQL / Python connection script question; attn: subik

Andy Graybeal andy.graybeal
Thu Jan 31 03:26:55 CET 2008

Dear list and attn: subik

I'm researching Scribus to use in our business. I'm in the rare position
of helping come up with solutions on how to publish different menu's for
the restaurant I work for. We change a great deal of our menu seasonally.
We have different menu formats for the different areas of our restaurant
and across each menu we have much of the same information. Editing each
menu is getting out of hand as we keep adding the amount of menu's we have
available and we would like to add the functionality of having a HTML
based menu on the web as well (we only have PDF available right now).

Each quarter the menu's format stays roughly the same, and some the items
on the menu also stay the same, but we feature a relatively large seasonal
section that we interlace with the rest of the menu.  It may be easier to
publish the seasonal items on a seperate menu altogether but, I think we
all prefer to have the seasonal items interlaced with the regular items,
even though it takes a considerable amount of effort to do this each
quarter.

We make the menus with OpenOffice, and I'm very attracted to Scribus
because it's a desktop publishing app with the hook into the DB.  We
eventually plan on using postgesql as our db, but for the interim and for
my sanity and testing purposes we will use MySQL for the sample python
patch included with Scribus.

I've been hitting up the Scribus IRC channel for about 3 years now asking
questions; but i  don't use Scribus right now.  I have very little
experience with MySQL but can do basic things with it.  I also have
essentially no experience with python other than reading and mindlessly
following examples in books in the late 90's and early 00's.

So... onto the my problem...

I have mysql installed; I can login to it and put content into the db by
hand, for the example, i've named the db 'scribe' and added a few tables
with not much data.

I've edited the 'username', 'password', 'server', and 'db' field in the
python example script... I realize that I should run the script within
Scribus... but I'm a little lost on the details of any thing further than
this.

I would greatly appreciate an example Scribus document, DB tables, and
script to get me started in the correct direction, or else a very detailed
explaination.  Something very simple would probably be good for me.

Any advice would be appreciated, and to be honest, I don't know if Scribus
is even able to do what I'm imagining, but I think I'm on the right track.

-Andy