[Scribus] Usability needs attention -- time for a feature moratorium?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Jan 29 21:45:22 CET 2008

Am Dienstag, 29. Januar 2008 20:18:46 schrieb Michael Higgins:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:11:56 +0100
>
> Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:

> > > Yes, yes yes! The lack of good hyphenation/justification makes it
> > > impossible for me to use Scribus for most of my text-heavy projects.
> > > I can learn user-interface quirks. I can't do anything about an
> > > essential feature that's missing except wait for it to be
> > > implemented.
> >
> > The feature is already implemented in 1.3.4, but this is no stable
> > version. 1.3.5 will come with hundreds of bugfixes, and it will be
> > (hopefully) much more stable than 1.3.4, but there has a lot to be
> > done until a new stable version with all the goodness can be released.
> >
> > All of you can help to speed things up by downloading and testing
> > 1.3.5svn on a regular basis, and by reporting bugs.
>
> Is there a Gentoo ebuild for 1.3.5svn yet? I'd just try to alter the
> scribus-1.3.4-r1.ebuild, but it looks for the source as a tar.gz.

Nothing I know of. You probably need to build 1.3.5 from svn sources. See
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=install1 and
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=install4.

> My first thought was that there should be a daily 1.3.5svn snapshot
> available at sourceforge to work with. Is that a big problem to make
> available?

The only issue I see is time ;)

> Discussing this is NOT really within my comfort zone, but I'd like to
> help. If I need to make my own tarball, what's the bash script I'd
> use? '-)

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I wiil have the right answer for
you ;)

Christoph