[Scribus] Usability needs attention -- time for a feature moratorium?

jwminer at accessvt.com jwminer
Tue Jan 29 19:48:44 CET 2008

Laszlo wrote:
> Seriously, user needs are very different, so every user has a
> different
> priority of necessary features. I have already produced a book
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Success_stories#172_page_ECG_workbook_for_medical_students
>
> using scribus 1.2, so I think a have the authority to say, that
> scribus
> is "basically usable". I am personally ready to work around the bugs
> in
> scribus, as long as I can do what I want. For me the most important
> feature missing is proper text hyphenation/justification. I strongly
> disagree to a feature freeze that may hinder the development of a
> stable
> version with good text justification.

Yes, yes yes! The lack of good hyphenation/justification makes it
impossible for me to use Scribus for most of my text-heavy projects.
I can learn user-interface quirks. I can't do anything about an
essential feature that's missing except wait for it to be
implemented.

So if developer time is scarce (and it is), please get those
essential features added and let users adapt to the interface. Good
grief! I've had over 20 years of computer use in which I've had to
adapt to interfaces countless times and have lived to tell about it
(plus gotten a heck of a lot of work done).
--Judy Miner
  USA

Registered Linux User #397786