[Scribus] Usability needs attention -- time for a feature moratorium?

Tornoci Laszlo torlasz
Tue Jan 29 13:04:50 CET 2008

JLuc wrote:
> Hedley Finger a ?crit :
>> The serious point I am trying to make is that perhaps it is time for
>> a moratorium on feature building for a point release or two while
>> usability issues are addressed, especially implementing orthogonality
>> across objects and controls.
>>
>> Are there any other rank newbies who want to tell of their
>> experiences/opinions?
>

> I strongly agree.
> There seems to be a tremendous enthousiasm to develop
> very precise high profile features
> while basic usability is ... missing.

I strongly disagree :-)
Seriously, user needs are very different, so every user has a different
priority of necessary features. I have already produced a book

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Success_stories#172_page_ECG_workbook_for_medical_students

using scribus 1.2, so I think a have the authority to say, that scribus
is "basically usable". I am personally ready to work around the bugs in
scribus, as long as I can do what I want. For me the most important
feature missing is proper text hyphenation/justification. I strongly
disagree to a feature freeze that may hinder the development of a stable
version with good text justification.

					Yours: Laszlo