[Scribus] Usability needs attention -- time for a feature moratorium?

John Jason Jordan johnxj
Sun Jan 27 09:19:13 CET 2008

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:07:14 +0100
Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> dijo:

> > Are there any other rank newbies who want to tell of their
> > experiences/opinions?

> The Scribus stable version is almost up to its 12th point release, ie, we are
> working on 1.3.3.12.. No major features are going into 1.3.3.x.
>
> All new work is going into 1.3.5, and some of the issues we face with 1.3.3.x
> can and will only be fixed with Qt4 and the versions developed with that
> toolkit.

There are some new features that I find essential and until they are
fully implemented I can use Scribus only for an occasional small
project. Specifically, I am referring to being able to import PDFs
without converting them to bitmaps and, most importantly, tables. I
also need to be able to create editable PDFs where I can specify any
font I want for the controls. I realize that the latter is not
something that most people need, but still, it is an enhancement that I
need.

So in my opinion it would be nice if the the occasional problems that
people report (like Ctrl-z not working as expected) can be fixed. But I
also don't want the features frozen until they are fixed. Besides, if
the features that I need are added later, they will probably break
other stuff anyway. I say, just continue on the current roadmap.