[Scribus] a bit off-topic: Tool to add notes to PDFs??

Philipp Wagner lists
Sat Jan 26 00:11:04 CET 2008

Craig Ringer schrieb:
> Philipp Wagner wrote:
>
>>  I just did a
>> quick hack of okular together with podofo, it worked more or less. But
>> the main problem is that poppler's code reading annotations is terribly
>> buggy (wrong positions of the annotations, content of the annotation is
>> not read etc., so that needs improvement in the first place.
>>
> I can't say I'm too surprised. Most of the work I've done on podofo has
> been fixups and cleanups, and there's plenty more to do. I find the
> annotation code particularly unclear.
>
> A test case or two illustrating the problem wouldn't hurt, though.

It's not the podofo code causing problems, but poppler's code. But I
didn't take a closer look at that yet where the problem is exactly.
podofo is able to read and write annotations without problems (from what
I tried).

>> Apart from that, I don't think it's the greatest idea to improve poppler
>> (a pdf _rendering_ library) to provide write support, but whatever :-)
>>
> It's not as bad as it sounds. PDF is designed to be appendable, so you
> can potentially get away with appending annotations without disturbing
> the main document, something that would probably permit a simpler
> approach to writing the appended PDF data. This also, handily, preserves
> digital signatures. The downside is that people will want to be able to
> change more and more, and poppler really isn't designed to be usable as
> a PDF editing library.

The next thing would be to support form contents to be saved and the
list could go on ...

So I'll just go on trying a bit, and next month there is even a chance
that I might have some time for finishing that ;-)

Philipp