[Scribus] a bit off-topic: Tool to add notes to PDFs??

John Jason Jordan johnxj
Fri Jan 25 17:46:07 CET 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:55:00 +0100
Philipp Wagner <lists at philipp-wagner.com> dijo:

> Looks like they got poppler to almost have write support. I just did a
> quick hack of okular together with podofo, it worked more or less. But
> the main problem is that poppler's code reading annotations is terribly
> buggy (wrong positions of the annotations, content of the annotation is
> not read etc., so that needs improvement in the first place.
>
> Unfortunately, my free time is very limited at the moment, so I
> currently cannot have a closer look at that.
>
> Apart from that, I don't think it's the greatest idea to improve poppler
> (a pdf _rendering_ library) to provide write support, but whatever :-)

I have been using okular on Gutsy x86_64, but for only one reason. I
have another program that creates syntax trees for linguistics work.
Unfortunately, it has only two export options - PNG and JPG, both
bitmaps, and neither one works very well. However, I found that I can
print to file and it will create a PS document.

Side comment: I tried CUPS-pdf and it still creates a PS file when I
print to it from the syntax tree program. CUPS-pdf does create a PDF
file when I print to it from any other program. The problem is in the
syntax tree program, which is written in Java and a bit flaky here and
there.

KPDF will open a PS file and convert it to PDF. However, it does
not have a Save option. Okular does. In other words, okular can import
the PS and save it back out as PDF. And yes, I know there are command
line tools that will do this, but the PS output from the syntax tree
program is not always perfect. It's nice to see it before bothering to
save as a PDF.