[Scribus] Many Versions = 2

Eric Watson wasnotrice
Tue Jan 8 01:46:00 CET 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Eric Watson wrote:
> []
>> for getting started. For OS X, the fink 1.3.3.9 worked great for me
>> under Tiger, but doesn't work in Leopard (last I checked). I'd be
>> interested in helping with fink/macports versions as well.
>
> What's wrong with the Fink version on Leopard? I am sure it can be
> fixed
> quickly.

After I upgraded, fink scribus-aqua no longer worked, so I uninstalled
and tried to re-install:

imac:~ eric$ fink install scribus-aqua
Password:
Information about 6227 packages read in 1 seconds.

fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual
dependency. The
candidates:

(1)	ghostscript: Interpreter for PostScript and PDF
(2)	ghostscript-esp: Enhanced GNU Ghostscript with better CJK and
printer support
(3)	ghostscript6: Interpreter for PostScript and PDF, v6.01

Pick one: [1] 1
Can't resolve dependency "system-xfree86-dev (>= 2:7.2-1)" for package
"fontconfig2-dev-2.4.1-5" (no matching packages/versions found)
Exiting with failure.

It sounds like it's a fink package availability problem, but the
scribus-aqua package worked great for me on Tiger. When I list my
installed fink packages, I can see that my version of system-xfree86-
dev is lower than the install wants.

imac:~ eric$ fink list -i
Information about 6227 packages read in 9 seconds.
.
.
.
  i   system-xfree86          2:1.3-2           [placeholder for user
installed x11]
  i   system-xfree86-dev      2:1.3-2           [placeholder for user
installed x11 development tools]
  i   system-xfree86-manu...  2:1.3-2           Manually installed X11
components
  i   system-xfree86-shlibs   2:1.3-2           [placeholder for user
installed x11 shared libraries]
.
.
.

After I upgraded and my scribus-aqua (and GIMP and Inkscape) didn't
work, I started fiddling with things, and installed some updated X11
libraries from Ben Byer. Did I maybe mess something up from the fink
perspective? I do notice now that there is a new Apple-distributed
version of X11 for Leopard. I'll have to try that out, too.

Thanks!

Eric