[Scribus] pdf standards

Timothy Boyden tboyden
Fri Feb 29 21:27:58 CET 2008

A simple string of "PDF/X" doesn't make a file a PDF/X compliant file.

What does make a PDF compliant could be a lengthy discussion because of
the technical detail involved, but suffice to say, it's generally the
PDF configuration settings applied by the utility creating the PDF, in
Scribus's case, the PDF exporter tool.

Most PDF creation utilities will give you as part of the export or print
properties screen, a drop-down box that let's you choose a PDF Profile
to export the PDF as. These profiles are equivalent to Adobe Distiller
settings files that define certain attributes that the exported or
printed PDF will have. It's these attributes that make a PDF a PDF/X-1a
or /X-3 PDF. Some of the required attributes are: Required Fonts
embedded, images are a certain resolution, OPI comments removed, color
intent is set, color profile is specified, etc... However setting these
attributes do not guarantee that the resulting PDF will meet the
requested profile. It's up to the PDF printer/exporter utility to
enforce the requested settings and "fix up" those attributes that can be
modified, or fail completely on missing fonts or low resolution
graphics. This is where a preflight tool comes in handy if you are
generating PDFs from a tool that you are unsure how to configure
correctly.

-Tim