[Scribus] pdf standards

Timothy Boyden tboyden
Thu Feb 28 21:20:09 CET 2008

PDF/X-1a:2001 is actually equivalent to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) version
files (according to the InDesign export feature anyways).

If you use the Scribus PDF export tool I believe it defaults to X-1a or
X-3 (which is the same PDF version, but with a more definitive color
profile description) which should be acceptable to your printer.

If you want a tool to verify it, you'll need a preflight tool like what
is included in Acrobat or another 3rd party product like FlightCheck
from Markzware. There's freeware preflight software available, but I
have not had a chance to compare those with commercial tools for
accuracy. One of the advantages of a commercial preflight tool is that
it can make adjustments that would make a PDF compliant with the X-1a or
X-3 specification.

-Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: scribus-bounces at kirsche.altmuehlnet.de
[mailto:scribus-bounces at kirsche.altmuehlnet.de] On Behalf Of John
Culleton
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:42 PM
To: scribus at kirsche.altmuehlnet.de
Subject: [Scribus] pdf standards

One of my printers (LSI) demands pdf files built to the PDF/X-1a:2001
standard in order to use their new OCE presses with a higher screen
setting. As near as I can determine this is equivalent to the product of
Adobe 6 or the
PDF-1.5 standard. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a way to check for
compliance with X-1a without buying the full Adobe Acrobat?

--
John Culleton