[Scribus] 1.3.5svn compile error on Ubuntu Gutsy

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Feb 16 11:39:24 CET 2008

Timothy Boyden wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Trying to compile the svn version of Scribus for the first time on my Ubuntu Gutsy notebook. I'm trying to follow the BUILDING file instructions along with the svn build instructions on the wiki. The following is my terminal output:
>
> trboyden at acer-laptop:/opt/scribus1.3.5/builddir$ sudo cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/opt/scribus135svn -DWANT_VERSIONING=1

First: your build directory should generally be *outside* the CMake
source tree. I don't think this is required, but it's unlikely that
using a build directory inside your source tree (except for the case
where the build directory *is* the source directory) is well tested.

Also, You should *not* need to run CMake with sudo or run it as root.
The only part of any sane build process that should be run as root is
the install. Even then, it's better to do something like (in your case)

sudo mkdir /opt/scribus135svn
sudo chown trboyden /opt/scribus135svn

... then "make install" without using sudo or becoming root.

This is safer for your system - in case the install code has a nasty bug
or the program has been compromised by somebody malicious.

The BUILDING file does not spell this out, nor does it provide example
CMake command lines. I'll try to take a while to expand the general
build instructions a little to help with that.

> -- Check for working CXX compiler: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND
> CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found.   Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

Can you upload your CMakeCache.txt to somewhere like
http://pastebin.ca/upload.php and put the resulting address in your

(CMakeCache.txt will be in the base of your build directory; in this
case /opt/scribus1.3.5/builddir/CMakeCache.txt ).

Also, please try running the command "g++ --version" (without the
quotes) and paste the result in your reply.

It'd help if you could save the attached trivial C++ program to a file
and compile it with "g++ -o trivial trivial.cxx". Did it compile
successfully?

If you've read the program and you trust that I'm not trying to trick
you into running something nasty, try running it with "./trivial" and
making sure it prints out "Trivial C++ program ran successfully".

--
Craig Ringer