[Scribus] User-interface design

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Feb 6 14:41:11 CET 2008

Cedric Sagne wrote:
> I hardly ever need to insert Unicode (thanks for the F12 tip), but I
> agree with the point that it seems Ctrl-Shift-u has been adopted widely
> and that following the crowd makes sense sometimes.

I see software that appears to have an obsession with setting keyboard
shortcuts and it ends up being rather dizzying to try to keep track,
plus ends up with all sorts of F-key codes that have no intuitive sense.
What I do think Scribus could use would be a more robust list of
*possible* actions for which shortcuts could be set. I notice that for
one, the 'Insert Unicode Character' is not a settable action, and
furthermore, F12 has been co-opted in 1.3.5svn to toggle palettes (and
still no ability to set another code for inserting a unicode character).
It would be nice to allow people to set Ctrl+Shift+U if they so wished.

These things are all fodder for the GUI suggestions page on the wiki.

Greg