[Scribus] Thus is has been with Scribus.

Peter Nermander peter.nermander
Mon Feb 4 14:28:29 CET 2008

>      "If you were designing a ui for somebody who had never touched a
>      computer, where would you start to best meet their needs ?"

Now, being "beginner friendly" is in my opinion COMPLETELY different from
being "user friendly".

User friendly means that a user shall easily find the functions they look
for, and that they know exist. Also, common tasks shall be easy to
perform.

Imagine working in a text editor where you would always have to first
choose "select" in a menu to be able to select text. Then choose "copy" in
a menu, move the cursor and select "paste" in a menu. And finally go back
to the selection, select it (using that same menu again, and trying to
remember how much you selected before) and the choose "delete" in a menu.
Is that user friendly?

It is VERY beginner friendly, since all commands are in menus (thus you do
not need to know that the command exists) and commands only do ONE thing.
You do not have to learn that you select text keeping shift depressed or
that you can "cut" and "paste", and you don't have to learn the functions
of the different "special keys" on the keyboard.

To make a good user friendly interface you normally need statistics about
which actions people do most.

/Peter