[Scribus] Scribus vs Framemaker

Hedley Finger hfinger
Sun Feb 3 23:34:05 CET 2008

Kholish:

At Sunday, 3/02/2008, 12:55 AM;, you wrote:
>I am new ti scribus. I want to know...
>Is scribus features same with Framemaker ?

I have used FrameMaker since v. 3.0 was released simultaneously on
Windows, UNIX, and Macintosh, and have used it on all those
platforms, including Sun OpenLook and HP-UX.

It is optimised for producing books where the layout is more or less
the same from page to page (except for the obvious exceptions such as
chapter title pages, index pages, frontmatter, etc.).  If I was
writing a traditional book (manual, fiction, non-fiction) I would use
FrameMaker for its comprehensive layout, TOC, LOF, LOT, Index,
cross-referencing, etc. capabilities.  It has the best table editor
in the business bar none, and has a limited ability to float graphics
and tables, i.e. if it won't fit on current page it is moved to the next.

*Everything* in FrameMaker is a named style/format, from
cross-references, pages, colours, tables, and is able to generate
many reports and lists for managing a project.  It can also be
interfaced to content management systems.  But its colour handling
and profile management is weak but adequate for its purpose.  It has
the handy ability to assemble the  components of a TOC or Index and
format them in any way you wish.  It also has conditions that allow
you to selectively hide or reveal content, ideal when there are
product variants for different markets, etc.

FrameMaker did not support Unicode until the most recent release (v.
8.0) and releases do not bring any radical updates and are rather
expensive.  Another thing that sets it apart is its support for
structured documentation (read SGML and XML).  It has an extremely
good structure editor.  Unfortunately, because any given schema
(Docbook, TEI, DITA) has to be mapped onto its native structure
particularly for tables, a good deal of customisation and
configuration via XSLT, read/write rules and sometimes C plug-ins may
need to be done to ensure painless roundtripping to/from XML/SGML.

If I were doing a layout intensive publication where every page is
different (think newspaper, brochure, magazine, annual report), I
would use Scribus, particularly if there were many graphics, and TOC,
etc. was not needed.  If I were doing a manual with simple graphics
and   a TOC, Index, etc. I would use FrameMaker.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Stewart Finger
28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia