[scribus] How do you handle boxes for headlines?

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Wed Dec 17 15:36:35 CET 2008

Gregory Pittman schrieb:
> Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>> Gregory Pittman schrieb:

>>> The short answer is maybe not the way you would like, but here is a
>>> potential answer: inline "graphics".
>>>
>>> Check out this video by Tsoots:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Video_Tutorials#Creating_bullet_lists
>>>

>>> in which you will see that there is a way to paste these little
>>> flower graphics into a text frame. While it might seem unrelated or
>>> unhelpful, you need to realize that this little flower could have
>>> been a small text frame with embellishments, maybe even a grouped
>>> object (haven't tried that extension yet). So what you can do is make
>>> your chapter heading in its own text frame, copy it (Ctrl+C), then
>>> paste it into your text frame, after which if you add or remove text
>>> from that frame, this inline graphic of sorts will keep its relative
>>> position.
>>>
>>> I hope I'm explaining this in a way you can understand...let me know
>>> if it isn't clear.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>

>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> that is brilliant! It runs quite well at a first glance, so thank you
>> for that idea.
>>
>> But now I've found a second item I've got a question about: How can
>> one keep the text with a certain distance from its text box upper
>> edge? You know, if you include a distance from the paragraph, this
>> applies on paragraphs standing before, but not on the text box. The
>> text will always begin at the ultimate upper edge of the box.
>>
>> Now, here I'll have to be able to place the text somewhat in the
>> middle of the box (vertically) to look nice.
>>
>> Do you have any idea for this?
> nothing other than suggesting you experiment. You might see whether
> setting the space below and above surrounding paragraphs might be useful.
>
> btw, I did find that this technique works for a grouped object.
>
> Greg

Well, I found a workaround for it, making a paragraph style
"Placeholder" with tiny 5pt forming a small line above my headline. I
didn't find any other way of achieving this yet.

Ok, grouped objects? Aren't that frames with text or graphics inside?

Although I've been working with Scribus for quite some time (years) now,
there are still some of the more professional features I've never got
into touch with. I still don't know what the Library is good for, for
instance... Just yesterday I stumbled over the adjustment dialog and
said "...if I'd known this earlier!" :-)

Yes, it's true, one should regularly take some time to dive into the
applications used daily to find out what else they can do. It's a matter
of time, of course. Pure coincident that I prepare a new project just
now looking for new ways.

Rolf