[scribus] Again ?? Scribus 1.3.5 crashes Signal fault 6 and 11

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Sat Dec 13 03:33:03 CET 2008

Thank you to everyone who replied.
In deference to the up volume comment regarding not using unstable versions for
production.
Yes I have that emblazoned into my psyche and am prepared to live with it. . -
BUT - if no one uses  the late versions in production how are we going to find
the problems.
The crashes were when I was changing font size in the <Properties><Text> dialog
and inserting tabs in a text box.
Further, I note that in the <Text> the number rollers for altering font width,
spacing and size still step erratically or 2 numbers at a click.

I am aware of the pitfalls, however, my poorly worded plea was more that I had
significant and major problem with the late binary which uses Qt4.4.3 - I had
far less problems with earlier .1.3.5svn's that used Qt4.3.3 or earlier, having
produced several newsletters over the time since1.3.5svn  was released.
To solve the dilemma.
I found a previous zipped .svn on my hd dating back to July, unzipped, deleted
the MakefileCache.txt, ran cmake .  and it worked for 4 hours last night with
one hiccup .... and 2 hours this morning ... back to normal, sort of.
So the problem is probably the late binary with QT compiled in or that there
seems to be no easy way of removing old scribus app files before installing the
next update.
In a few days, I'll get time to reinstall the binary and run it from a terminal
and report the bug data.

I googled the error message and find that there are a range of Signal Faults
reported, most of which I do not experience.
Maybe it would help to have a separate/sub program that translates the signal
fault into meaningful comment, I haven't got a clue how that would work but it
may help users to understand, if they wish to.

Maybe a simple text file that says Signal Fault nn = 'This went wrong because
blah blah did this or that to who knows what'. Google is useless at explaining
Scribus Signal Faults.

Crashing the app is akin to the Blue Screen of Death we are all used to, its old
unnecessary programming.
Perhaps Signal Faults could permit a save before crashing the application, the
data and layout must be somewhere in memory or on hd so would be saveable prior
to releasing the signal fault. For me at least, crashes wouldn't matter, they'd
be merely an annoyance to be investigated and recreated, and most of all work
could continue.

Thank you again
Roger