[scribus] Dual installation of 1.3.5 and 1.3.3.12 (Linux)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Dec 12 23:13:39 CET 2008

a.l.e wrote:
> ciao greg
>

>>> $ /usr/local/bin
>>> $ ln -s /usr/local/scribus_135/bin/scribus scribus_135
>>> $ ln -s /usr/local/scribus_133x/bin/scribus scribus_133x
>>>
>> what this brings up, though, is a pertinent issue: why should the
>> default behavior of a binary cause the stable version to compete with
>> the development version?
>> This is actually a constant feature of Scribus, that at any given
>> time, there is a stable version and development version.
>>
>> Perhaps the devs could consider the possibility of having default
>> binary installations that do not compete with each other.
>>

> this is a feature, not a bug :-)
>
> it's typical for all linux (or unix?) apps to put the self-compiled
> software into /usr/local/.
> scribus just complies to the standard.
>
> the big advantage is, that you will have all your self compiled
> binaries in /usr/local/bin/, the matching config files
> in /usr/local/etc/ and ...
> it's just like /usr/ but... for the real user and not the distribution.
>
> if you use it that way, it will just work and, since most of the
> time /usr/local/bin/ is in your $PATH, you will be able to run your apps
> as soon as their installed.
>
> the downside is, that you may start messing up the things when you
> have different versions of one app installed in /usr/local/ or when you
> want to remove an app you don't use anymore (or when two apps try to
> write the a bin or a lib with the same name to /usr/local).
> the packet managers from your distribution do a wonderful job in
> managing /usr/, you won't be able to do the same with /usr/local/!
>
> so, clever users may prefer to put every app in its directory and just
> put a link in /usr/local/bin/ (and/or eventually
> in /usr/local/lib, ...).
>
> but it's up to you to change the install path!
>
> i've been using this schema for years and it's mostly straightforward
> (in most cases you just need to link one file /usr/local/bin or i just
> run it directly from its own directory; it's very rare that i also
> have to link libraries and config files). still, i dont't wish, that
> scribus starts to use another default path than the standard one.
>
> let's keep like everybody does, even if it's a pain!
> the alternative would be, to try to change the standard... it won't be
> an easy task!

I think you're missing the point of the original poster.
Personally, I build both versions all the time and do as you say. But
there are many who are reduced to using available snapshot binaries,
since they don't feel they can compile.
On Windows, one can install as many as one wants, and there is no
competition. I would think that even within the context of the usual
Linux system there could be a way to have the dev version segregated,
then when it becomes stable, it goes to /usr/local/bin.

Greg