[scribus] Dual installation of 1.3.5 and 1.3.3.12 (Linux)

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Fri Dec 12 22:50:24 CET 2008

> On Friday 12 December 2008 17:31:22 John Culleton wrote:
>> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 03:47:43 pm Craig Bradney wrote:

<snip>

>> It's the plugins and icons that are the problem, not the binaries. I
>> can rename binaries pretty easily. But it is the other thingies,
>> located in places like /usr/local/lib/scribus, that cause the
>> confusion. I recompiled 1.3.5 svn from scratch after deleting
>> whatever I could find that is troublesome.
>> The svn version now works again on my main partition without plugin
>> error messages.
>>
>> For now I am running 1.3.3.12 on a separate partition. If you can
>> suggest a cure for the /usr/local/lib problem I'll give dual
>> versions
>> on the same partition another go.
>
> I have given you that suggestion.. stop using /usr/local. There is
> nothing
> simpler than that.

I recommend you heed Craig's advice.

The directory /opt for optional was/is used for installing things that
you dont want to get messed up with standard installations

However you can make your own directory and install there, do your own
thing, you are not compelled to follow "Convention" which in this
case, and has been pointed out, is fraught with danger.

You can also use the -DWANT_VERSIONING=1 flag with cmake which will
give you different binaries in the same install bin directory (ie
/opt/bin)

The only disadvantage with building in /opt or /elsewhere is that the
pre programmed path, $PATH does not include /opt or /elsewhere. But
this DOES NOT MATTER FOR Scribus as scribus libraries are not used
elsewhere.

Keep away from /usr/local

Owen