[scribus] Dual installation of 1.3.5 and 1.3.3.12 (Linux)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Dec 12 20:23:53 CET 2008

a.l.e wrote:
> hi john
>
>> For now I am running 1.3.3.12 on a separate partition. If you can
>> suggest a cure for the /usr/local/lib problem I'll give dual versions
>> on the same partition another go.
>>

> personally, i never install software in /usr/local but i let the "make
> install" create a directory for each program in /usr/local
>
> for scribus, you will pass
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_135
>
> when you install 135 and
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_133x
>
> when you compile the stable version.
>
> if you want to be able to run scribus from the command line, you can
> set up two symbolic links in /usr/local/bin:
>
> $ cd /usr/local/bin
> $ ln -s /usr/local/scribus_135/bin/scribus scribus_135
> $ ln -s /usr/local/scribus_133x/bin/scribus scribus_133x
what this brings up, though, is a pertinent issue: why should the
default behavior of a binary cause the stable version to compete with
the development version?
This is actually a constant feature of Scribus, that at any given time,
there is a stable version and development version.

Perhaps the devs could consider the possibility of having default binary
installations that do not compete with each other.

Greg