[scribus] OT: Font Designer

Pierre Marchand capparis at free.fr
Fri Dec 12 15:22:02 CET 2008

Vous (Asif Lodhi) avez écrit :
> Hi Lars,
>
> On 12/12/08, Lars Behrens <lars.behrens at pi.uka.de> wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 12. Dezember 2008  schrieb Asif Lodhi:
> >> ... There is NO free Urdu (Pakistan's national
> >> language which is 90% Hindi and 10% Persian+Arabic but with
> >> Persian/Arabic complex script/font) font available here
> >
> > I am no expert on that, but do you know these ...
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/paktype/
>
> These are "Naskh" fonts - not the complex script Nastaleeq-style. As
> far as I know, NO Urdu newspaper in Pakistan uses Naskh fonts or
> mainstream publishing. No Urdu publication can gain wide-spread
> adoption unless and until it's in Nastaleeq. All Nastaleeq
> (complex-script) fonts are proprietary. I know about PakType but they
> are not upto the mark even by Naskh standards. Naskh fonts are easy to
> develop and program but they are hardly used to write Urdu - though
> Naskh fonts _are_ used in other Pakistani languages.
>
> Thanks for the feedback,
>
> -Asif

Hi Asif,

I think the best place to develop your idea, which is great indeed, and meet
interested and helpful people must be the Open Font Library mailing-list[1].
Once you’re in the process of actually producing something, the other best
place where you’ll have very valuable input about technical issues is
Fontforge mailing-list[2]. There must be others I don’t know about, but at
least with those you’ll be in touch with right people.

[2]<http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/#Mail>

--
Pierre Marchand