[scribus] Which linux for scribus in virtual box ?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 02:02:20 CET 2008

Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

> The real solution, if dumping XP is your goal, is the other way
> around: Linux as the main OS and Windows XP as the VM guest.

That would probably preclude our running folding jobs on the GPU for
example ?

> Otherwise
> you can;t very well dump XP, can you?

It's a stepping stone that gives us access to Linux tools.

 >You will be surprised at how
 > little you have to fire up the VM.

I probably wouldn't be having already lived in both worlds.

> Anwyay, I've used Ubuntu for Scribus with great success. But if you
> are going to use Ubuntu, I highly recommend LinuxMint instead. It is
> based on Ubuntu but does a lot of things that add terrific polish on
> top of a pretty well polished Ubuntu scaffold.

OK.

> Generally speaking, any modern Linux distro tailored towards desktop
> use will work just fine. It is surprising how similar they are when
> you get right down to it, and that is because a desktop is a desktop.

And a kernel is a kernel.

> Some good Linux distros if making the transition away from Windows is your goal:
>
> LinuxMint
> Ubuntu
> MEPIS
> PCLinuxOS#

Thanks -  I'll compare.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor