[scribus] OT: Font Designer

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Dec 10 23:47:00 CET 2008

Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know I am lazy and I have not read the resources page but could
> someone please give me links to FREE and/or Open Source Font Designing
> Software applications for Linux and/or Windows?
>
> I know about FontForge but I have never used it and I have an
> impression that it is not a designer but a manipulator for existing
> fonts. If FontForge IS a designer, can you provide me some good
> documentation/tutorial links? Can you design complex script fonts
> using FontForge? Again, sorry for directly posting this question here
> and not looking up on the resources page.

I answer not as an expert, but someone who has read some things about
this. Creating fonts is no trivial matter, probably the main reason why
modification of existing fonts is commonly done as an alternative. Even
experienced font designers can take years to finish a font they are
completely satisfied with.

So I would think it might be a good idea to further investigate what
font design is all about and its difficulties first.

Greg