[scribus] The Scribus target - a question for the developers

Mike Morris twriterext at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 23:31:02 CEST 2008

I am new to Scribus, but not to DTP.  I have been exploring Scribus, and I
am an avid reader of the mailing list messages. I am using Scribus
1.3.3.11on a Windows XP platform. My question for the developers is a
result of the
many comments and questions posted over the past month on such topics as who
is (or should be) using Scribus, and such features as imposition, color
management, printing, and even spell checking.

The question:  What is the goal of the developers?

This is curiosity on my part.  Scribus, so far, is, in my judgment, a
significant accomplishment, especially as the work is (apparently)
financially uncompensated and done on a "part time" basis. I say that as
both a software user (not a programmer) and former small print shop owner.
My tentative conclusion is that Scribus is a useful design tool, but not
(yet) a production tool--consider, for example the comments on imposition.
I see no reason why Scribus could not be a significant design AND production
tool.  That makes it targeted, I think, based on current capabilities,
towards the "professional" user and not the consumer.  Given the necessary
complexity of a true DTP (call it page layout or page assembly if you
prefer) application, that makes sense to me.  However, as a former shop
owner, I find myself compelled to point out that both ease of use AND
functionality are important to getting work done in a timely and profitable
way.  Two non-coding issues are important contributors to ease of use (in my
opinion).  One is good documentation, and the revised tutorial and the
forthcoming printed manual (yes, I consider a printed manual important) are
steps in the right direction.

The second issue (as I see it) will probably stimulate much disagreement.  I
am aware that frequent changes are viewed as appropriate and even necessary
in the open source community.  However, frequent changes (even if free) can
be a significant productivity blocker in a production environment--at least
in a small independent print shop.  Software stability--and I am not talking
technical stability--is necessary (again, in my opinion) for profitable
operations.  By the way, I do not consider that need limited to DTP
software.  I had a specialized (for the printing business) production
control package that required an annual update ($800) and impacted the
hardware as well.  As you (the developers) I am sure know, printing is a
capital-intensive business.  That makes it difficult--especially for small
shops--to be continually investing in software and hardware.  OK, OK,
Scribus is free, but there is still time (=money) for training, even if it
for oneself.  "Stable" software, that is software that can access files from
older versions without user intervention, features that work the same from
day to day, month to month, and even year to year (among other issues) are
important to maintaining a high level of productivity.  And yes, I realize
that there are times when upgrades are not only appropriate, but necessary.
Frequent changes are not always a positive business model (however appealing
the technical model).

Now I know you have been working on this application for at least five
years, and are currently working on a new version.  As a (potential) user, I
would like to see, once the new version (1.3.5?) is released, that you spend
time cleaning up the bug reports and polishing the application to make it a
truly effective package for the printing industry.  I wish I had had
something like Scribus when I was in the business.

But that gets me back to my original question;  what is your goal?  From
other posts, I conclude that others have the same question.  Perhaps it is
to continue with the software development as a technical and intellectual
project, and not provide a "finished" product.  Well . . . that is certainly
OK.  If so, more power to you.  I certainly don't have the knowledge or
skills to create anything even close to what you have already created.  Yes,
I saw the number of downloads of Scribus, but, for the reasons I have
presented here, I don't consider that as evidence of a finished product.  I
would definitely like to see a finished product--I am convinced the industry
could benefit from your work on a much greater scale.

Again, and just out of curiosity, what is your goal for this application?
Please note, that whatever it is, I wish you much future success.