[scribus] How to use color management?

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Aug 31 23:27:48 CEST 2008

On Sunday 31 August 2008 01:09:58 pm Mike Morris wrote:
> Yes, thank you for your information.  However, I have another question.
> Are you using the term "monitor" generically (that is, including LCD's) in
> your answer:
>
> "On the other hand I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what happens

> > your monitor...."
> >

> > "What I am getting at is that the change from an uncalibrated
> > monitor...."
> >

> > "Since I now work on software that uses these devices I have a small
> > collection
> > of measurement devices that I use for testing and I use a few of these to
> > handle my own calibration and profiling tasks.  Of my monitor only
> > devices...."
>
> I ask, because it is my understanding that calibration devices for CRT
> monitors will not work with LCD's, primarily because the voltage in/light
> out curve is different between the two--especially at low voltage/low light
> levels.  Or perhaps that is also misinformation.

The voltage in/light out curve is called a gamma curve and they are natively
different for CRTs and LCDs but this has nothing to do with calibration
devices.

There are two issues.  First CRTs flicker and LCDs don't (this is not totally
correct but the slight flickering in LCDs can be ignored).  The second one is
that LCDs have different primaries (IE. the exact spectral location of pure
red, green and blue).  Color meters have to be configured to account for both
of these issues and will have a way for the softwre to tell the meter which
configuration to use.  All newer meters do this and you have to go back
perhaps 5 or 6 years ago to find a new meter that did not support both LCD and
CRT measurements.   In addition higher end spectrophotometers are unaffected
by the different primaries since the device can actaully read where the
primaries are located directly.

Hal