[scribus] How to use color management?

dwain dwain.alford at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 01:36:45 CEST 2008

On 8/30/08, Lars O. Grobe <grobe at gmx.net> wrote:
> > why then are there so many color profiles to chose from?  your
>  > hardware can read a specific profile.  if you set the color profile of
>  > your monitor to sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_noBPC.icc then your monitor responds
>  > to that profile.  if you set it to swop v2 then it reads that and
>  > responds accordingly.
>

> I never heard about that. Usually you cannot set a monitor to "use" a
>  profile, it does not have intelligence to do so, you can just use a
>  display profile to get from a working color space (e.g. sRGB) into the
>  monitor's one. But, I think that is the key here, in this discussions
>  two applications of profiles are getting mixed...

if you are using windows you can right click on the desktop then click
properties then click advanced and then the color management tab.  now
you can set the color profile for your monitor.

mixing profiles in software and hardware does not help manage color.
i have found this through the years.  i primarily do web graphics, so
i choose the srgb route for my color profiles, both for my hardware
and software.

even though i have gone the srgb route, if you check with color.org
you will find that the srgb profile without black point compensation
is the one to use with a monitor set to 5000k for it's color temp, i
use swop v2 for my cmyk.  so far i have had no problems with print to
paper, or vinyl for that matter, using that profile.

the point of all of this is that you need to match the settings in
your software and hardware according to your commercial printer if you
want to get exact reproduction, besides, as i have said before and was
mentioned in an earlier post by another poster, their cms should clean
up what you miss.

as for me, i have found what works for my purposes and i know what
questions to ask when approaching a new commercial printer.  i have
worked and studied hard the print industry, as well as work in it, for
going on 10 years.  all i do is pass on what i have learned.  one can
take it or leave it, it really doesn't matter.  if you enjoy
struggling with getting a working color management work flow, then
have at it by all means.  i have found a managed color work flow that
works for me.  i'm sure you will find one that works for you as well
one day.

cheers,
dwain

--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin