[scribus] Why to I have to set the screen size in Scribus?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 19:53:35 CEST 2008

Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:

> I just noticed that sizes were not correct in Scribus by default (when I
> held a ruler to the screen it didn't match with the Scribus one).
> I found the monitor configuration option where I can set the DPI to
> correct this and did so.
> Why doesn't Scribus do this automatically?

I'm only guessing wildly, but one obvious reason may be that there isn't
a readily available cross platform way to do it ?

Remember Scribus isn't a windows app -  more of a good linux app that
just happens to run under windows by the good grace of Qt ?

And then there's the killer problem. Windows, and I guess X11, can't
tell how big a monitor you happen to have plugged in. Or at least I
assume they can't through generic VGA mechanisms, especially if you
happen to route your VGA through KVM switches to monitors of different
sizes like I do. I could be 17" or 19" depending what else is going on.

> It should just use the value
> it gets from the Window system (like other applications, e.g. gimp do)
> by default, so I don't have to configure this for every application
> individually.

I seem to remember getting a value for that out of a GDI device context
for something in years gone by, but it was never any use to man or beast
for absolute sizing.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor