[scribus] tables-merge cells

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Aug 27 16:05:38 CEST 2008

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Ms Wright wrote:
>> Just started using Scribus and plan to use it with some students for
>> a project . Trying to ensure that I can hit all the requirements for
>> the project and need some advice/tips about using tables in
>> Scribus.Is there a way to merge the cells in a table? Can I rotate
>> text in a table or do I have to make it follow a path?
>>
> The best way to think of tables in Scribus is that they are a number
> of text frames side-by-side. Therefore you manipulate them as you
> would text frames. One difference is that you can change the thickness
> and other line features of each of the cell's borders independently.
>
> You don't really rotate text in a text frame, what you do is rotate
> the frame...
> For a table, you could rotate individual cells, or you can rotate the
> whole table. Also be aware that a text cell can be converted to an
> image frame.
>
> We are aware that working with tables can be a lot of work, yet there
> is some flexibility you may not see with tables in other environments
> -- you can stretch and distort a cell any way that you can for frames
> in general.
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Building_Tables
>
> Finally, it's worth mentioning that you can make a table in
> openoffice.org and then import to Scribus.
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Complex_tables_in_Scribus_1.2x
Here is something else I discovered, that may be of interest for some.

You can actually make a group of individual frames and turn them into a
"table". Make a set of frames - can be text or image - then group them,
save the file.
Open the .sla file with a text editor and change the parameter
'isTableItem="0"' to 'isTableItem="1"' for each frame in your ad hoc
table. Save, then open in Scribus, and you can use this method to be
able to change the features of only one side of the border of the frame.
This doesn't seem to work for single frames. Also, if you ungroup the
frames, the isTableItem parameter is reset to 0.

Greg