[scribus] OpenOffice into Scribus

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Aug 22 17:09:22 CEST 2008

I always save text from an outside WP program as Rich Text or Plain Text. Rich Text (.RTF) saves formatting, Plain Text (.txt) does not. OpenOffice supports RTF exports. Looking at the Scribus import features, I see that RTF isn't supported, nor text files. That's a problem that should be resolved! RTF is enough of a standard (and plain text or ASCII files, for that matter) that it NEEDS to be supported -- all platforms and word processors support it.

I really need to spend some "quality time" with Scribus! Deadlines for the next issue of my little mag and remodeling a house take priority right now though. Most of my comments are assuming that Scribus works like most other higher end DTP programs (such as PM6, Serif, and Quark). In my brief encounters it sure has the "look and feel" of others... The import options of only SVG, OpenOffice Draw, and PS/EPS is a severe handicap for me -- most of my submitters use MS Windows (heck, most of the general computer user population!) and most of them don't know anything about other file formats. I have to tell many how to save as an RTF -- they're used to just hitting the save button in Word!

--------
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:03:13 +1000
From: Roger <hovergo at net-tech.com.au>

I currently dont have any luck in getting Openoffice text into Scribus unless
its cut and paste, which loses all the formatting.
Otherwise I would use it.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"