[scribus] Spell check and word processing in Scribus

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Fri Aug 22 03:47:06 CEST 2008

<rant>
The discussion about and request for a complete editing system in Scribus , I
feel, will continue ad infinitum.
Yes, It would make Scribus a stand alone tool able to produce finished works.

It, however circumvents and at the same time enhances  the Unix, Linux, etc,
concept of one tool for one job.

Scribus requires a raft of other software including ghostscript, etc, so in this
it will never be stand alone software.
Therefore, whats the difference if it also requires an external word cruncher
package to spell check, etc.
This however adds a level of intensity for the developers if they wish to make
that tool accessible as part of the Scribus package.

I have wondered why the team bother with the Story Editor at all, wouldn't it be
easier to open a package like say, abiword or some other light weight word
processor with basic tools and sent the text to that.
To me the Story Editor has basic use, - to apply changes to text, line and
paragraph styles and add line breaks, simply because
editing in a text box is so slow and inaccurate.

So, for my perspective, it comes to  either the status quo or a tool that does
everything textwise and simply 'puts' the completed text, layout, format,
styles,etc into the text box rather like putting an image into an image box.

For me Scribus is often the tool of choice for letters and pretty much
everything else I do textwise, I use gedit (notepad) for plain text , don't
often use OpenOffice.
Broadsheet, magazines, professional presentations are one facet of Scribus. B&W
flyers, 1 or 2 color pages are the other end of the spectrum for which Scribus
is used.

To sumarise. for me Scribus should be the layout tool of choice, adjusting text
could be in another capable piece of software so the developers can concentrate
on Scribus and not text manipulation within in a text box.
</end of rant>
Regards
Roger