[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 21:22:06 CEST 2008

Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

> My point is that Scribus was not created, from the outset, as a tool
> where "spell checker" was on the potential feature list. And there are
> a lot of reasons given why this is so.

Such as ?

I'm getting pretty tired of being told that there are a lot of
reasons, most of which seem to amount to tradition.

> I also don't think that anyone said "a spell checker is a BAD idea". I
> think that the point really is just that it is not on the Scribus
> potential feature list, for many valid reasons.

I find the choice of words fascinating. Not being on the POTENTIAL
features list might be taken to imply that it is not even POTENTIALLY a
feature. This sounds pretty negative for something that could be even
the glimmer of a good idea.

> And finally, I don't even think that the developers (is LJ one?) think
> that adding a spellchecker is necessarily a bad idea. But it is,
> simply, not on the potential feature list, not a priority, and
> probably will never be on the potential feature list, for all those
> various reasons given.

Well that's up to the developers I guess.

There has been talk of implementing 'spell check as you type', but I
believe that this can't be done because of changes that would be
required in the core code ?

If this is true, it seems to me to imply that either provision will be
made for spell checking in the core code, or that the core code will be
changed to let plug-ins get at what they need to.

In either scenario, at a minimum, it would seem that support and
provision for spell checking would need to be provided.

> I think that a spellcheck *plugin* is the perfect way to implement
> spellcheck in Scribus.

As long as the plug-in interface doesn't compromise the functionality
that can be provided. It sounds as if it does at the moment.

> I mean, the plugin capability is there for just
> such outlandish[1] features, right? So kudos for building one, even
> one made out of chicken wire and glue[2].
>
> later...!

Probably.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor