[scribus] [play at lindseyross.com: Resizing image]

dwain dwain.alford at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 20:01:08 CEST 2008

On 8/16/08, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:
> Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
>
> > Lindsey  sent a message using the contact form at
> http://www.scribus.net/?q=contact.
> >
> > Hi, there.  I'm trying to import photographs into a brochure that I'm
> making.    The actual size of the JPG I'm importing is very large, so I'd
> like to scale  it down to a few square inches without distorting it.  I
> assume this is under  the "edit image" option when I right-click on the
> inserted image, however,  when I do this, I get the error message "The
> program gimp is missing!"
> >
> > I have Gimp on my computer, and even when it's running I still get this
> error  message.  Is there some way I need to activate it within Scribus to
> make this  work?  I tried just resizing it in Gimp, saving it, and
> reimporting the  image, but when I do this, it seems to lose its resolution
> because when I  print it, it gives me the error message that the DPI is not
> high enough, and  it of course looks blurry when I actually do print it.
> >
> > Any advice you could give me as to how to import these photos correctly?
> > Thanks so much!
> >

>  When you want to scale, or edit, an image in the Gimp for inserting in
> Scribus, go to Image > Print Size and there you will be able to change the
> resolution of your image. Be warned though that you will still see the same
> size in pixels but it will be a much smaller physical size.
>
>  Blessings,
>
>  Nigel

if i may add, first save your jpeg to a gimp file format (.cxf) before
editing then convert back to a jpeg or png.  png is a lossless format
and looks better than a jpeg and is sometimes smaller than a jpeg.

cheers,
dwain
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin