[scribus] How To Market and Publish.

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Sat Aug 16 10:08:38 CEST 2008

I have snipped Beast's response as below.

Marketing is the locomotive that pulls the train. In any commercial venture the
first step is to make sure there is a market for your product, and that you will
be able to reach the market (advertise) at a rate reasonable enough to ensure a
profit after costs of production.

In my case I refuse to publish any book that is not a textbook.

The textbook market, however, is completely different from any other book
publishing market. The normal way textbooks are marketed is by sending free
examination copies to those who teach the subject. Then you just sit back and
wait for the phone to ring. If the textbook fits the instructional criteria, the
phone will definitely ring. Not only that, it will continue to ring at the start
of every term as the school has to order more for the next class.

I write all the books myself, so I do not need to pay writers. If corrections or
updates are needed I will hear about them from the instructors. Note that I only
print a couple hundred copies at a time, so corrections make their way into the
inventory pretty quickly.

Thank You for writing this.
With all the recent discussion about promotion of our software, to me it may be
an ideal way to promote Scribus, Open Office, and Blender and other  into
schools in Australia. It may be a way to get in along side the Education
Department dogma and start moving it to one side by making these fit the
instruction criteria.
Roger