[scribus] off list Re: ! ;-)

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 23:17:00 CEST 2008

joseph harris wrote:
> From: "John Beardmore"
>> joseph harris wrote:

>>> Users of DTP vary trememdously because the term includes everything
>>> that may be prepared on a computer, printed out and distributed -
>>> whether the circulation is one, one million or more.
>>
>> Hmmm. I think that isn't a common interpretation.
>>
>> Remember the adage that DTP != WP.
>
> And that there was a lot of 'can do DTP' in some WP selling. Whether it
> should have been is another issue. The fact is that DTP is a widely used
> term now.

Is it ?  Perhaps. Maybe we should be talking about 'page layout' as
opposed to WP.

> DT now includes portable computers for example, which are very
> powerful machines often.

Is that a hair worth splitting ?

> P is interpretable across a wide range of
> activities.

Indeed.

>>> Non-technical and not wanting to learn much to be able to use the
>>> program. Quark itself has had to do some dumbing down to meet the
>>> competition. A penalty of the commercial marketplace.
>>
>> Only if it reduced functionality. Did it ?
>
> There is always development of programs so it is more now an issue of
> 'what might have been there' and to what extent has simpler operation
> reduced or contained flexibility. Assuming by dumbing down we mean
> easier operation at a price of some choices.

I'm not sure we should assume that.

>>> As you are really saying scribus is not in competition with these,
>>> nor should it be. But that is where the big numbers are.
>>
>> I wouldn't say it's not in competition with them. I've given up
>> spending money on Adobe because they didn't fix show stopping bugs and
>> charge an arm and a leg for upgrades, and scribus is more cost effective.
>
> I was thinking in marketing terms; at current market shares Scribus is
> an alternative, but not in any serious ways a competitor.

If I stop spending money with Adobe, which I have, it is reducing their
turnover and profit. At a wild guess their accountants will see OSS as
competition.

> The failures
> on bugs may indicate how competition can both drive to new ideas, but
> also reduce the sizes of technical teams.

On the other hand, having no competition gives no incentive to have
development teams.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor