[scribus] Scribus!

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 23:07:05 CEST 2008

Mr. Beast wrote:

> I tend to agree with this post. I only publish 12 - 20 pages, but it's a
> few hundred copies every 2 months. Ease of use is essential to me. I
> worked with page maker for a decade and it did the few things I needed
> simply and dependably. I've played a bit with MS Publisher and it did
> the job too. However, all the windows software went when I switched to
> Linux. A large part of that conversion to Linux was based on my
> expectations of Scribus.
>
> My own conversion to Scribus makes a good example of my point. I'm a
> little surprised at how awkward imposing the pages is turning out to be.
> That's a lot of time I could be spending elsewhere. In my opinion in
> order for Scribus to differentiate itself as a professional DTP and not
> just another light weight office graphics package, Scribus has to be
> able to easily handle large multi page documents (such as books and
> magazines) intended for professional printing. So far all the
> information I have read on printing 2 up double sided has been geared
> toward home printers. The notion that a professional will be printing
> thousands of copies of a multi page documents on their home printer is
> just painful to read.

Agreed. None the less I suspect that a lot of DTP is done outside of the
classic journalist to press idiom.

Essentially it gets used for laying out pages, but not necessarily for
things that will be printed more than once or twice.

> I don't mean this as denigrating to the good work that has been done so
> far. I intend to continue learning and working with Scribus. But I also
> recognize that I am a minority. Most print shops just roll their eyes
> when I mention Scribus or Linux, and that's assuming they even recognize
> the names. I've already gotten my fair share of blank looks from
> photocopy clerks. Which in my mind raises the question of who actually
> uses DTP programs?
>
> It's one thing to own DTP software. It's quite another to use it. And
> another thing still to use DTP professionally.

Are you defining professional use in terms of what the software is used
for or the number of instances printed ?

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor