[scribus] off list Re: ! ;-)

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Thu Aug 14 15:32:50 CEST 2008

Hi Joseph,

> I have no beef with Scribus. I think it is a program that isn't
> just under constant development and with tremendous flexibility,
> but for professional use is probably now the best program to use
> for control and quality of final product.

Scribus is undergoing development all the time - however, many of the things
we need to do to advance Scribus require a lot of major structural changes.
Just one of these was the Qt3- Qt4 (GUI toolkit) migration. While this in
itself was not incredibly hard to make quick progress, it has lead to a lot
of major changes for the canvas code, and related areas.

I think you will find the fast paced development will pick up after we
release 1.3.5 (a development version) as we will change our model of
development slightly leading to more releases with more discrete changes
made rather than long unending changes. This should also allow us to move to
a new stable series eventually.

Still, it is awhile off yet, 1.3.5 is not finished, but we are working on it
and it has seen some decent performance increases in the past few weeks. We
are also a little closer to being able to produce a proper "bundle" single
install option on the Mac for the 1.3.5 version.

cya
Craig