[scribus] off list Re: ! ;-)

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Thu Aug 14 13:59:18 CEST 2008

Hi John,

I promised Greg I'd wind up my on list contribution to this line
of discussion, since it is away from the list's purpose. But I
see you have misinterpreted me.

I have no beef with Scribus. I think it is a program that isn't
just under constant development and with tremendous flexibility,
but for professional use is probably now the best program to use
for control and quality of final product.

I was only trying to address your questioning why more people
don't use it. Though I originally wanted to take up civil
engineering I have not been able to continue my bent for
technical areas, and now need time and thought to handle the
technical.

But I have had to mix with and deal with a very wide range of
people over the years and can assure you that technical bent, let
alone ability and competence are a very long way from common.

I think, faced with the nature of modern society and the swamping
of people's experience by the big commercial companies that
Scribus already has a surpisingly high interest, as shown by the
download figure.

Users of DTP vary trememdously because the term includes
everything that may be prepared on a computer, printed out and
distributed - whether the circulation is one, one million or
more.

And to define a publication is impossible, since one tends to
start with the answer one believes in; satisfying but circular. A
great deal of DTP - in the sense DTP programs or WP add-ons are
used - is local, occasional and of small circulation. The work
produced is mostly limited by the program, though I think that is
rarely stretched by the limited ambitions of much that is
published.

Producing work limited by the hardware and 'software' available
is not new. For a longtime the typewriter, the duplicator and the
carbon paper were the only bridges between the handwritten and
the printed. The development of small offset changed that
dramatically and the rise of the computer user changed that
again.

For a simple document i would still use WordPro97; it would do
all that was needed more or less automatically. But Quark would
be the normal stop for book to be printed by the larger printers
and now scribus would definitely be in my sights.

The other thing limiting take up of Scribus is marketing. There
is no way the time at this stage is going to be spent on that,
and i am not even sure it should be done. This really is my other
point. Not that Scribus should become a dumbed down popular
program, but that that would be the price of making it popular.

If you think of Quark, the leader in the publishing field for
decades, slowly being copied and challenged by Pagemaker, Serif
and others you see the dumbing down process in action. Quark was
uncompromisingly for professionals; Serif [a good example of the
process] copied aspects of Quark (as did the others, even if they
avoided copyright issues), and reealised there was a layer of
semi-professionals who would love to have a less costly answer to
print-ready. I think typesetting and WP have a similar
relationship.

Then Serif [or whoever was first] realised there was a whole
bunch of amateur users of print that might buy the software to
lower costs or even to achieve different results... Since it
costs a lot of money for commercial development the program had
to meet the wants and abilities of the new user.

Non-technical and not wanting to learn much to be able to use the
program. Quark itself has had to do some dumbing down to meet the
competition. A penalty of the commercial marketplace.

As you are really saying scribus is not in competition with
these, nor should it be. But that is where the big numbers are.

Best wishes,

Joseph