[scribus] Levels of knowledge

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 05:26:49 CEST 2008

Roger wrote:

>  > When a  user grasps the difference between  OS and apps then comes the
>  > > opening to the above discussion and the ability to move to cross
>  > > platform apps.
>
> Are levels of knowledge really that low ?
>
> Yes they are at that level and these are the folk who buy a new or
> second hand computer with xp or Vista because the computer repairer is
> God, the all seeing all knowing guru.
 > Many folk I know have no differentiation between windows and the
 >tools/software.
> School kids particularly in state schools who are taught by largely
> under resourced and under trained teachers also don't know. Yet others
> who are more advanced with computers at home and smart friends, are
> articulate and knowlegable.
>
> People in our region teach basic computer classes which vaguely touch on
> operating systems but mainly teach the File, Edit, and so on of the ms
> Word document and spreadsheet. If a person can get and send emails, type
> and print a letter, thats as far as it goes.

OK, but scribus is 'competing' in the DTP market. Most of the people you
mention above are not doing DTP at all.

There's a whole question about how these people get exposed to OSS at
all, never mind DTP.

> I reckon I've just about covered the abilities of most of the people in
> my town and the two neighboring rural towns.
> So yes I would say that its a very basic understanding.
> Maybe this is where  Open Source could focus but how, I don't know.

Maybe -  I guess it depends if you see OSS as

     the crafting of excellent software because it's what people
     want to make themselves and want to gift to others

or

     the making of something that has huge uptake and takes over
     the world.

and I guess that's a question each and every developer and proponent of
OSS has to ask themselves.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor