[scribus] ! ;-)

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Wed Aug 13 15:50:35 CEST 2008

From: "Murray Strome"
From: "Lars O. Grobe"

> He did not say that he does not listen to criticism. He just
> defined the boundaries. In the meaning of - if I go to
> someone's house, take a sit and get served a nice dinner, it is
> ok to share an idea about what wine he especially likes to the
> meal - but claiming that the house is awful and the meal cannot
> be eaten is a bit unpolite. Decide if you like the metapher,
> but noone refused to listen to criticism.
>
> CU Lars.

Lars,

>From discussions it seems that there is invaluable input from
>new
users, and can that not also extend to would be users?

>Joseph Harris
>I think the main point to be made is that saying, "Scribus is
>useless" is not very helpful.

Absolutely; and I have never said anything remotely like it.  But
I was addressing John Beardmores' sigh about people's knowledge
and the popularity of the program.

> If I don't like something about Scribus, I will say what it is
> and, if possible, try to give a suggestion as to how it >could
> be changed to better meet my needs. Even better, if I were
> capable, I could even offer to help make the change.

Very much the way to go about it - if the knowledge to put it
that way is there. But if popularity is the concern there are
issues of useability far beyond the technical issues. I think, in
fact, that this is starting to be addressed; development of the
manual for example. and the interface certainly relates to other
DTP programs.

>Fortunately, this is the approach taken by most people
>contributing to the list.
>
>Murray

Perhaps it explains the difference between the commercial
approach, where useablitily is a prime concern, and open source,
where the technical aspects absorb the interest. I repeat again
my admiration and respect for what Scribus is and where it is
being taken, and for the peole doing it. For popularity, however,
it has to address the facts that most people are not
knowledgeable, and that 'one click' has massive appeal.

Joseph Harris