[scribus] Installing Scribus in MEPIS 7 (Debian based)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Aug 12 14:07:43 CEST 2008

Thanks Alex! I suppose I'll just have to use that command line to get
this started. Inconvenient, but I can do it! :-) I printed your message
so I have it in front of me. I didn't know about this stuff or would
have read further. IAEFRI (If All Else Fails Read Insturctions).
------------- Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:17:31 -0600 From: Oleksandr
Moskalenko <malex at scribus.info>

> > Okay, I finally have Linux (MEPIS 7.0) installed on a computer! I just
> > told the install program to use the entire HD so it would reformat. Now
> > I read an article that mentioned partitioning the hard drive so that
> > data was on another partition to make upgrades easier! Oh well, I can
> > repartition...
> >
> > I've got a problem installing Scribus. I don't want to compile if it can
> > be helped, just want to install the program executables. I tried
> > Synaptic. The MEPIS repository has 1.3.3.6 as the newest. I tried
> > following the instructions on the Scribus website to add one of the
> > listed Debian repositories and got an error -- something about no public
> > encryption code?

Frank,

If you read the http://www.scribus.net/?q=debian further you'll get to the
bottom of the Detailed Procedure section and see the following there:

Steps to import the archive gpg key

1. Fetch Scribus archive key:

 gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys EEF818CF

2. Import Scribus archive key into apt-key:

as root:

 gpg --armor --export EEF818CF | apt-key add -

or as a normal user via sudo:

 gpg --armor --export EEF818CF | sudo apt-key add -

Run apt-get update after this operation to check that the key has been installed correctly.

apt-key list

command will show the currently available keys. Make sure that it lists

pub 1024D/EEF818CF 2007-02-28
uid Scribus Debian Archive Signing Key

as one of the keys. For added assurance you may validate that you installed the correct key
by comparing the key's fingerprint to

pub 1024D/EEF818CF 2007-02-28
 Key fingerprint = C434 E100 AEFC B7D8 7D6B D3EB 5BC4 CFB8 EEF8 18CF

uid Scribus Debian Archive Signing Key

Cheers,

Alex.

--