[scribus] "ml"

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex at scribus.info
Mon Aug 11 21:52:31 CEST 2008

* John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> [2008-08-09 02:15:46 +0100]:

> The first thing is which website ?
>
> Let's assume I go to www.scribus.net

Well, this puzzles me a bit. What other website is there? I think this is the
only your comment I disagree with you about.

> I see a big friendly text saying
>
>     "Download the Latest Scribus v1.3.3.12"
>
> and under it the page refers to the stable release, and has an  invitation
> to read more, but no clear indication of where to get the  svns if you don't
> want the stable release.

Changed the announcement title to "Scribus 1.3.3.12 Stable Release
Announcement", which should clearly represent what it really is. There are
links to download areas in the announcement if someone clicks on "Read More",
but the "Download" is gone from the title.

> But on the opening page, there are additional references to Downloads to
> the top and right. Must there be three download links ?  Which should I
> take ?

I removed the side panel Site Navigation menu. Now, if someone looks at the
site the only "Downloads" link they'll see is the link at the top.

> Now, I click on the big friendly one, because it is so eye catching and
> because anything that leads to 'downloads of the latest' will probably
> lead, if a little indirectly, to other versions, svns included.
>
> Now I expect to get a list of downloads, but I get "Why Scribus ?".  I
> hoped I was about to download it.  Shouldn't I know why by now ?
>
> In the end, I ignore the download links at the top and on the right, and  I
> notice something that says in very small print "Choose your  platform:...".
> This sounds promising so I select Windows 2000/XP,  though it's not
> immediately clear that this is a link which doesn't seem  ideal...
>
> This takes me to more words. Invitations to download at the top and the
> right still. Only when I scroll right to the bottom do I find the link I
> presumably need.

Changed the links to point to download pages instead of documentation pages.

> This takes me to SourceForge and automatically starts a download of
> 1.3.3.12.
>
> OK -  so following the big "Download the Latest Scribus v1.3.3.12" link  for
> svns probably was silly. Had I taken one of the top or right  download
> links, I could have found the link to "SVN Snapshots".
>
> Doing this, I see the text "There are currently no posts in this
> category" which I don't understand. And then I'm back to "Sponsorship"
> and "Why Scribus ?", but seem to have no apparent way of getting to any
> SVN, least still one for windows.

Fixed - SVN Snapshots now has a link to the latest windows 1.3.5svn snapshot
and it will have new ones there as they appear as well.

> So yes - I don't think downloading svns from the web site is obvious.
> But it's easy to snipe and you are asking what would be better.

Please take a look at the current set up. I hope it's more straightforward
now. Thank you a lot for your comments. They were very helpful and honestly
quite eye opening.

> I'd suggest a simple hierarchy of pages along the lines of
>
> index.html
>     ->Downloads
>         ->OS1
>             ->Historic releases
>             ->Best stable release
>             ->svns
>         ->OS/2
>             ->Historic releases
>             ->Best stable release
>             ->svns
>         ->OS3
>             ->Historic releases
>             ->Best stable release
>             ->svns
>         ->etc
>
> I suppose I'm a fan of fewer words, more compact (less repetitious)
> pages, and a more tabular presentation with fewer ambiguous alternatives.
>
> So I guess my main suggestion for improving navigation of the web site
> would be...
>
>     Make it clear what you are about to download before before
>     starting downloads automatically,
>
>     avoid duplication of text where possible,
>
>     avoid repeating text where it is unnecessary
>     (see what I mean ?),
>
>     avoid having multiple confusing links from a given page,
>
> and
>
>     avoid links that seem to lead to nowhere !
>

> Somebody has kindly given me the link to 1.3.5 win32 SVN, but I can see
> how I managed to miss it !
>

> Cheers, J/.

Cheers^2,

OM